This is a repeat intro…because it’s from the same event! I love BLOGS and especially the ones with videos. Jennifer McGuire is one of my favorite bloggers and the idea for this card came from one of her posts. I presented this card on February 24th at NorCal Stampin’ Event. If you are a Stampin’ Up! Demonstrator in this area, get on Cathy Williams email list and join us next time.
I used the Myths & Magic Suite from the Stampin’ Up! 2018 Occasions Catalog with the coordinating die cuts. Fabulous set and the Designer Series Paper that goes with this is amazing. PLUS, I used the Celebrate You Thinlits Dies from Sale-A-Bration and you know what?!? This will be continuing in the NEW 2018-2019 Annual Catalog. For now have a look on page 36 and 37 of the Occasions catalog to see the Magical Suite and page 17 of the Sale-A-Bration Catalog to see the thinlit set. WHEW, that’s a lot of looking so don’t get lost.
There’s lots tri-fold card ideas but this one is a wee bit different. I used two cards so grab a thick piece of Whisper White Cardstock or your favorite cardstock and score at 5-1/2″ across the 11″ inch side, cut at 4-1/4 x 11″ and BOOM, you have two cards!
There’s lots tri-fold card ideas but this one is a wee bit different. I used two cards so grab a thick piece of Whisper White Cardstock or your favorite cardstock. I have two designs for the front so depending on your preferences or patience 🙂
- Whisper White Thick Cardstock 8-1/2 x 11″ and score at 5-1/2″ across the 11″ inch side, cut at 4-1/4 x 11″ and BOOM, you have two cards! Fold and crease with a Bone Folder.
- Two pieces of Smoky Slate Cardstock 4 x 5-1/4″ – one will be run through the Big Shot with the Brick Wall Embossing Folder.
- Designer Series Paper (DSP) from the Myths & Magic Suite cut to 4 x 5-1/4″
- Scraps of Whisper White to stamp and die cut a magician, die cutting Celebrate twice, stamp the You Are One of a Kind Sentiment (silver embossed)
- Scraps of Berry Burst to stamp and emboss the sentiment in Silver
- Myths & Magic Glummer Paper – I used the tourquoise for celebrate and the dragon on the inside. When cutting the glimmer dragon, place the glimmer side down on your cutting plate, then place the die cut on top. This way the dragon will be looking twoard the sentiment. Cut two fire pieces out of Iridescent glimmer.
- Stamp Set Magical Day
- Silver Embossing Powder
- Celebrate You Thinlits Dies – FREE with a $100 purchase during Sale-A-Bration BUT will be available in the NEW 2018-2019 Annual Catalog
- Line up your Dragon and Knight on a stamping tool (Stamparatus, Misti or a BIG block) in the position shown on the finished card. I put my card in to see where I want them placed. Check that the bottoms of the stamps are straight. Y’all don’t want a crooked dragon!
- Place your Smoky Slate piece on top of the front of the Whisper White card and secure with a paper clip or a little bit of snail.
- Place this package securly in your stamping tool and stamp the dragon and knight using Memento ink. This is just a light stamp to get the outline of the critters.
- Remove the Smoky Slate piece and place the Whisper White card back in the stamping tool and secure with a magnet. Stamp using Memento, I ALWAYS stamp twice because I like a dark black image.
- Open the Whisper White card and die cut the dragon and the knight. These die cuts will be colored with Blends, Markers or Copics.
- Die cut the dragon and the knight out of the Smoky Slate piece. These are scraps OR put them on the envelope!
- Die Cut Celebrate once out of turquoise glimmer paper, twice out of whisper white and once out of black. Adhere ALL of these together using Tombo Liquid Glue. If you are doing the second version, only cut ONE out of turquoise glimmer paper
- Color your Whisper White dragon and knight. I used the Stampin’ Up Blends. Fussy cut to the black lines, this is how it fits in the die cut window when the top fold opens.
- Use the Embossing Buddy to go over the whisper white scrap and stamp the sentiment using VersaMark. Cover in Silver Embossing Powder and heat set. Do the same on a scrap piece of Berry Burst.
- Die cut the Berry Burst sentiment with the banner from the Magical Mates Framelits Dies. Only focus on the word Magical, don’t worry about the top sentiment.
- Fussy cut the whisper white sentiment Hope Your Day Is.
- NOW comes the tricky part–how to turn this into a tri-fold card. Using a paper cutter, trim 1/8″ from the BACK of the card that is die cut. Trim 1/8″ from the BACK of the second card. *See the photos at the below.
- Flip the second card over so that the back is facing you, then put the trimmed open edge at the top. When the cards are side by side, the back of the second card, where it’s trimmed 1/8″, is open facing up.
- Open the first card and the back of this will be adhered to the opened second card. See photos! Don’t glue anything until you’ve tried the tri fold.
- Adhere the Smoky Slate die cut piece to the card front. As in the photo, snip out the paper pieces by the dragons wings and the knights sword. This will make it easier to fit and open…plus they are an unnecessary annoyance.
- Open the card, adhere your choice of DSP to the first fold in the tri-fold as well as the Hope your day is sentiment. I added a few white dots after the sentiment.
- Close the card add dimensionals to the knight and dragon. Before adhering these to the card, make sure that the card can open smoothly, if not trim the areas of the die cuts. I added Tombo Glue to the tip of dragons tail because I wanted it flat against the card. Adhere both in place.
- Take the piece of brick embossed Smoky Slate and cut pieces to place on the card to look like a castle wall. This is the same technique shown in the Occasions Catalog. It gives a cool effect. Before adhering to the card, over them with Smoky Slate ink and a dauber to create grey areas before adhering to the card.
- Prep the surface with the Embossing Buddy, stamp the sentiment on the inside using VersaMark, emboss with Silver Embossing Powder.
- Open the entire card, adhere the die cut Berry Burst embossed sentiment Magical to the card and add the tourquoise glimmer dragon to the bottom.
- Adhere celebrate to the front….WHEW! I think I got it all down and it’s done but remember to decorate your envelope! You can use the Smoky Slate stamped images.
In the second version, emboss the entire Smoky Slate piece with the brick embossing folder*, die cut a wizard out of whisper white and color with Blends. Use a Glitter Enamel Dot in his hand for the crystal ball. Adhere the sentiment Hope your day is, to the top front, pop up the Magical banner with dimensionals and tuck the wizzard behind. Attach DSP to the inside and adhere the glimmer celebrate (only one layer of celebrate). On the inside, Silver Emboss the sentiment.
*I found when embossing the entire Smoky Slate piece, I had to trim a little of the Whisper White cardstock around the die cut images so that the card would open smoothly. Use a craft knife for this purpose.
*How to make the Tri-fold Portion in Photos