Oh yes, I can see the bewildered look in your eyes! What kind of card is see through? Does it have a cloak of invisibility? Funny aside, this is a cool technique from none other than Jennifer McGuire and I adapted it for use with the thinlits that I have with Stampin’ UP. I think this card is so elegant using these thinlits and I’ll be experimenting with more.
See Through Card
This is a very elegant card that can be used for a wedding, shower or birthday. It’s not difficult but looks like it is…that spells perfect for me!
- Thick Whisper White Cardstock – two pieces cut at 5-1/2 x 4-1/4″ and another piece for die cutting the labels
- Detailed Floral Thinlits
- Powder Pink Cardstock – for die cutting
- Emerald Envy Stampin’ Ink Pad or marker
- Powder Pink Stampin’ Ink Pad or marker
- Berry Burst Stampin’ Ink Pad or marker
- Multipurpose Liquid Glue (Tombo)
- Rhinestone Basic Jewels
- Pearl Basic Jewels
- Sale-A-Bration Stamp Sets Happy Wishes and Lots of Lavender plus Beautiful Day
- *Black Embossing Powder – after I finished ALL of the samples, it turns out that Stampin’ Up doesn’t have a Black Embossing Powder so change the color, use a different brand OR just stamp in black ink.
- Wink of Stella — of course!!!
- Tear & Tape
- T-ruler, pencil and eraser
- I use 3-M Micropore surgical tape to hold my die cuts in place. Use your perferred method to hold the die in place, ie washi tape, painters tape, etc.
- Ribbon – assorted
- On the two pieces of Thick Whisper White Cardstock measure 1/2″ from the top. With a pencil, place a small mark and draw a soft line across the card. Do this to both pieces of cardstock.
- Measure 1/4″ from the bottom and with a pencil, place a small mark and draw a soft line across the card. Do this to both pieces of cardstock.
- Place the Detailed Floral Thinlits on one of the card pieces and center it. Make a tick mark where the edges are (top and bottom), measure and then mark the same spot on the second card piece.
- Place the thinlit on the line and use tape to hold in place. Die cut using the Big Shot and repeat for the second piece. Erase the pencil lines.
- Take one of the Whisper White pieces and score a line that will fit the Tear & Tape. A smidge more than 1/4″. Use a Bone Folder to reinforce the crease. This is the back piece.
- Die cut four ovals out of Powder Pink (or four out of Whisper White and Lots of Labels. (Directions will continue for the Powder Pink with the Lots of Labels directions at the bottom).
- On one piece of Powder Pink, rub with the Embossing Buddy. Stamp in VersaMark and sprinkle with Black Embossing Powder. Heat Set. OOPS…Please NOTE: SU doesn’t have Black Embossing Powder anymore, if you have it use it BUT if not, use another color or another brand.
- Stamp the flower and leaves from Lots of Lavender at the top and bottom using Powder Pink. This is to give you an outline to follow for the filler stamps. Clean the stamp
- Using Berry Burst and the filler stamp for the middle flower. Ink, stamp off on scrap paper and then stamp on the middle flower. Using the Berry Burst Marker, ink the flower from the main stamp and stamp the flower again. This will give the outline.
- Stamp the berries using full Berry Burst.
- Using Emerald Envy Stampin’ Ink, stamp the leaves full strength and just move the stamp slightly and stamp again. This will give a shadow to the leaves.
- In one of the cards, I took this oval and moved the edge only over the ink pad to give a slight shadow.
- Of course, I used Wink of Stella on ALL of the flowers.
- Decide if you are going to leave the front plain or use ribbon. Ribbon can be wrapped around the front after adhering together.
- FUN part! Adhere Tear & Tape to the front of the scored Whisper White piece. Take a Bone Folder and secure the tape to the cardstock. Remove the backing and carefully attach the front piece. Voila–a see through card!
- Open your card and lay it flat. You will be attaching the four oval pieces with the sentiment piece on the front. Starting at the front or the back to adhere the ovals. Use a non stick silicon mat under the adhesive if needed. Put Multi Purpose Liquid Glue on one piece, then place glue on the second piece that goes behind it, adhere them together on both sides of the die cut piece of cardstock.
- When the card is closed, ALL ovals will be alligned perfectly so the card is “see through”.
- Attach ribbon to the top if desired. Attach rhinestones or pearls *
*For the ALL white card use Lots of Labels Framelits. Stamp Happy using VersaMark and emboss using Gold Embossing Powder. Stamp Birthday and emboss with Silver Embossing Powder. I love mixing metals! On the top piece, punch a hole at either end, use the ribbon of choice (I used 1/4″ Natural Trim Ribbon in Gold) and run through both holes. This will go through the back after adhering the labels to your card so leave a long enough piece. Follow the same instructions above for adhering the ovals and then tie a bow in the ribbon at the end by Happy. Attach a few pearls.